Follow tawdra on Twitter

Friday, October 8, 2010

Choosing Our Battlefronts

Are you ever overwhelmed by all the battles that we're supposed to be fighting?  I only have to look at my Facebook pages to see it.  I should be feeding my family only natural, whole foods.  I should be living completely green, recycling everything, using only non-harmful cleansers.  I should be cutting coupons and matching them to the weekly sale papers, and if I'm really good at it, pretty soon I won't be paying for any of our groceries-the coupons will!

I hate to break it to everyone, but it's impossible to live all these lifestyles at once, unless you have an extra twelve hours per day.

Unfortunately, many people who try to make improvements and find it too much give up completely.  They figure if they can't do it all one hundred percent, they might as well not do any of it.  And that's a shame, because there really are some ways to improve our lives, even if it only seems to be baby steps.

The key is to look at your life and figure out where you can take those baby steps.  For instance, taking reusable bags with you when you shop--not only at the grocery store, but also at your other stops--is easy to do and it really DOES make a big difference in keeping plastic bags out of the oceans and landfills.  And choosing to load your grocery cart with fewer processed foods and more natural, whole foods is a good first step in changing how you feed your family; it can also reduce your weekly food bill.

Rather than let all of the should-bes drag you down, take a look at some of the could-bes and decide which ones you can slowly implement in your day to day life.  It's amazing what taking even baby steps can do for your confidence, not to mention the improvements those steps make in your home front!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing this! How true! Made me feel better for the little steps I've taken, though I'm still hoping to get some bigger ones down too!

    ReplyDelete